Who doesn’t love a little ball of chocolate protein yumminess? I know I sure do! A no bake way to sneak more protein in my diet? Sign me up!! I have been seeing variations of these balls all over the internet and finally decided to break down and try them for myself. They are super easy and quick to make- even little kids can make them. I based my recipe on one I found on the Whole Foods website with a few minor changes.
I used almond butter for my Energy Blasts but I know peanut butter or any other nut butter would be just as yummy! I also used dried blueberries because I had them in the house but the original recipe called for raisins. I think dried currants would also be tasty. These balls lend themselves to all sorts of substitutions so don’t be shy about experimenting with your own personal ideal Energy Blast.
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tbs of unsweetened organic cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup finely chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, etc.)
- Place almond butter, honey, cocoa powder, blueberries and 2 tbs of coconut in food processor.
- Process until well combined.
- Put sesame seeds, coconut and walnuts in three separate bowls.
- Using about a tablespoon of dough roll into a ball until fairly well formed but not perfect.
- Roll ball in either coconut, sesame seeds or pecans depending on your taste.
- Continue rolling until reaches roundness.
- Store leftovers in the fridge. These will get sticky if they get hot.
As you can see my kindergarten play dough rolling skills are not that great but these will still taste great even if they are not perfectly round.
Enjoy your Protein Blast!