This morning I woke up to a very nice surprise! Katie at the super amazing Whole Nourishment blog nominated me for the Liebster Award. I have gotten to know Katie in the blogging world because we share common ideas about how to nurture and feed ourselves and our loved ones. I love checking out her blog for yummy inspiration for dinner or snacks! (And I am super excited to collaborate with her next week on her Dinner for One series -more details on that later!)
The Liebster Award started in Germany as an opportunity for bloggers to recognize their favorite bloggers. I love the idea of having new readers discover my blog while introducing my readers to other bloggers I admire so I was happy to be nominated. This award has a few rules:
- Thank the blogger who nominated me and link to their blog + display the award badge.
- Answer 11 questions provided by the blogger who nominated me
- List 11 random facts about myself
- Nominate 11 bloggers (I tweaked this rule)
- Pose 11 questions to said nominees
- Go to each nominee’s blog and notify them of their nomination.
Here are the answers to Katie’s questions:
What is your favorite food movie?
My favorite food movie would have to be Like Water for Chocolate. I loved the idea that the chef’s emotions could become infused into the food.
What can always be found in your fridge?
Some type of fermented food. I always have either sauerkraut, kombucha or water kefir in my fridge- usually all three!
What are your non-negotiables when it comes to food?
I am struggling with this question because I am up for just about anything food wise. I am a fairly adventuresome eater. However, I eat VERY little fast food- especially from the major, international fast food companies.
Has blogging helped you learn anything new about yourself?
It has reminded me that I am a “wing it” sort of cook- not always a good trait when you are sharing recipes with other people!
Blogging is creative work. Some people argue creativity is artfully bringing together seemingly disparate ideas to make a dish while others say it’s about creating something new. What does creativity in the kitchen/on the blog mean to you?
One of my other jobs before I became a Wholistic Nutritionist was as a jeweler. I loved being able to have an idea for a particular piece of jewelry and then turn it into something beautiful that someone could love. I feel like cooking provides that same opportunity. When you create something truly tasty for someone you love, it is an amazing feeling.
What is one thing most people don’t know about you?
I like it quiet. When I am home by myself, I don’t have on any tv or radio. I enjoy the silence!
What on your life bucket list are you determined to make happen?
Someday, I will go on an African Safari. I am dying to giraffes in the wild!
What cookbook do you cook from the most?
Lately, I have been cooking a ton from the The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out by Angela Liddon. Everything I have made from this book has been a hit with my family- no small feat with two teenage boys!
What is your favorite go-to quick dinner?
How do you like to start your mornings?
- I went to school in Italy for one semester in college but can’t speak Italian.
- I never had a fresh (non-canned) pear until I lived in Italy.
- While living in Italy, I tried to cook pesto on the stove. I didn’t know you just needed to stir it in warm pasta!
- I often roast cauliflower and eat the whole head by myself.
- Both of my parents are from New Orleans so I eat a lot of sea food.
- I cannot sing AT ALL!!
- I have completed 3 triathlons.
- Even though I haven’t lived in Texas for over 20 years, I still consider myself a Texan.
- Two years ago, my family went to Honduras to build a house for a family who needed a home.
- I have a completely irrational fear of sharks- at times even thinking they might be in the pool.
- I am happiest when I am outside, in the sunshine, with my family.
- Rama at Freshly Grown a fellow whole foodie and mama doing amazing things to spread the whole food word.
- Linda at Gluten Free Homemaker for her dedication to tasty, gluten free living.
- Deborah at Urban Naturale hosts two amazing whole food link ups each week that help expose everyone to other bloggers.
- Kimi at Rock My Vegan Socks. A wholistic nutritionist and vegan food guru.
- Kristy at She Eats because she posts such amazing food with beautiful photography and funny commentary.
- Krista at Fitlandia for her focus on a positive mental attitude in her blog posts.
Questions for Nominees
- What is your favorite food or fitness blog?
- What is your favorite cookbook?
- What is your typical breakfast?
- What has been the most popular post on your site?
- If you had $10 US to spend. What would you buy?
- Where is your most favorite place you have ever visited?
- What is your most favorite dish to eat?
- What is the one piece of advice you would give your younger self?
- Do you have any pets? Tell us about them.
- What is your drink of choice?
- What is one thing you always have in your fridge?