When I was a girl growing up in the South, sweating was not considered lady like. An old saying I would hear is “Girls don’t sweat, they glow”. Sweating was avoided at all costs. Now for anyone who has spent even a speck of time in the South in the Summer, you know how hard it is not to get your sweat on. Fortunately, as I have grown up, I have realized how much I actually enjoy sweating, especially when it involves strenuous exercise. I know that if I leave a Boot Camp class or come back from a run with my shirt soaked through then I have done my body good.
Here are some reasons why you should love sweating too!
- Sweating helps your body to release toxins.
- Sweating helps your body to regulate temperature. If you couldn’t sweat while working out, your body could become overheated, leading to anhidrosis, which can cause dizziness and loss of consciousness.
- Sweating helps your pores open up, allowing impurities to escape. It is important to shower after a good bout of sweating to wash away these impurities.
- People who workout more tend to have a lower incident of kidney stones. One theory is that the increased time sweating leads to increased release of salt from the body. Salt is one of the main contributors to kidney stones.
- Sweating also increases circulation.
- Sweating can kill viruses and bacteria that cannot survive above 98.6 degrees.
With all these amazing benefits of sweating, we should all be trying to get our sweat on more often. Tell me about your favorite ways to break a sweat.