I am always searching for the quick snack that is the perfect blend of salty and sweet-ready on a whim and easy to grab and go. These pistachio nut butter stuffed dates meet those requirements. They are so easy to make and can be adjusted to include any nut butter you have on hand. Don’t like pistachios? Make yourself a walnut butter for a blast of healthy omega-3′s. Have a jar of almond butter that has been hanging around for awhile? Grab it, stuff it in some dates and chow down.
I find these dates a perfect snack for pre and post workout. The nut butter provides a hit of protein for muscle recovery, while the dates give a blast of sugar to help fuel your workout. ( Even though dates have sugar, they are considered a low GI food because they provide both some protein and fiber to slow the absorption of the sugar. They are also a good source of Vitamin B6 and the minerals Potassium, Copper and Manganese.)
I happened to have pistachios on hand so I decided to make a pistachio nut butter. However, any nut will do. I also decided to add some ground flax seed to add some healthy omega- 3s.
- Pitted dates
- 1 cup of pistachios
- 1/4 cup of ground flax seeds
- 3 tsp cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp of salt (taste your butter and adjust based on your taste)
- 1 1/2 tbs of melted coconut oil (more if needed)
- coconut for sprinkling
- Grind your flax seeds.
- Slice dates down the middle but not all the way through. You want them to open up but not break in two pieces.
- Put pistachios, cacao and salt in food processor.
- Begin to grind nuts.
- Stop to scrape down sides as needed.
- Add oil and flax seeds.
- Grind some more.
- Nuts will gradually break down and form a crumb texture. Continue grinding until crumbs begin to stick together and a nut butter forms. This may take a few minutes.
- Carefully spread nut butter in the inside of the dates.
- Sprinkle with coconut.
What nut butter would you like to try?