Every Friday morning, I sweat my way through an amazing boot camp class at The Refinery here in Portland. Each week features a different series of moves designed to torture us. While I am usually exhausted by the end of it, I LOVE it! It is fun, challenging and awesome to see what my body can and can’t do each week. Before each class, I have to think carefully about how I am going to fuel my body to get through the workout. I don’t want to be too weighed down but also want to be sure I have enough fuel to finish. The last few weeks, I have been relying on versions of 24 hour oats. With cherry season upon us, these Chocolate Cherry Chia Oats are my new favorite.
I added a scoop of vegan vanilla protein powder to my oats because I wanted the extra protein with such a hard workout but you can leave it out if you aren’t interested in extra protein.
We use this protein powder Garden of Life Raw Organic Protein, 622 Grams.
These oats are great because you prep them the night before and then just grab them and go in the morning. They offer healthy omega-3 fats with the chia seeds, fiber filled oats and a dose of Vitamin C from the cherries. As you can see from the picture below, it is not a pretty breakfast but it sure tastes good.
- 3 tbs of oats
- 2 tbs of chia seeds
- 1 tbs of cacao powder
- 1 tbs of protein powder (optional)
- shake or two of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of pitted and chopped cherries
- 1 cup of vanilla almond milk or milk of your choice
- Maple syrup or other sweetener to taste
- Place all ingredients in a mason jar.
- Shake until well combined.
- (You may have to open and stir with a spoon to be sure everything gets mixed together.)
- Place in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, add sweetener of choice and enjoy.
I usually add a couple of tablespoons of some sort of nut butter for even more flavor and protein. You can omit it if you want or use whatever type of nut butter you have on hand.
This post contains affiliate links.