I love hummus as much as the next person but with almost daily consumption, I am starting to get a little tired of it. I like the idea of a dip that can be a quick snack with carrot sticks or crackers or that can serve as a spread to liven up a sandwich. The amazing thing about this Red Pepper Walnut Spread is that it can serve all of those purposes. Within minutes of making it, I had slathered it on crackers, slapped it on carrot sticks and heaped it on pasta for lunch. Yummy! (Even though I was too hungry to wait, it was even better the next day when the flavors had time to meld in the fridge!)
This spread is a nutritional powerhouse with two cups of omega-3 filled walnuts and 1/4 cup of walnut oil. It also gets a healthy dose of vitamin A and a mega dose of vitamin C from the red peppers! Both the red peppers and the walnuts offer a shot of fiber to your diet. So go ahead, don’t be shy! Whip some up in your food processor so you can discover for yourself all the different ways you can enjoy this dip!
This recipe is amazing on thick, hearty crackers. It would also make a great topping for pasta or a filling for a lasagna.
- 2 cups of dry roasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup of walnut oil
- 1 full roasted red pepper
- 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 tbs of lemon juice
- 2 tsp of honey
- handful of fresh parsley
- Dry toast walnuts in a large pan. Let cool.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor.
- Pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight to let flavors meld.